Kuala Lumpur, Dec 12: Alibaba Group today revealed the latest shopping preferences of Malaysian consumers and the performance of Malaysian brands on its cross border e-commerce platform based on insights garnered from its recently concluded 2022 11.11 Global Shopping Festival.
On 11.11, Malaysians were big shoppers for apparel, mobile accessories and headwear from Taobao. On the other hand, consumers in China are strong supporters of Malaysian F&B, health and pet food products. The mutual demand for products from both countries exemplifies the healthy cross-border trading activities that took place on Taobao and Tmall during the festival.
Malaysian Shoppers in Anticipation of Festive Season
• On Taobao, where Malaysians can shop for overseas products, Malaysian consumers made the most purchases in product categories including apparel, mobile accessories and headwear during 11.11. Among the top-performing brands were Nanjiren (apparel), Li-Ning (sports gear), Deli (stationery and office equipment) and Xiaomi (consumer electronics).
• The popularity of apparel and headwear categories indicates that Malaysians are on the search for products to refresh their looks as they gear up for year-end gatherings and leisure activities. Within the apparel category, some of the top-selling items include women’s clothing, innerwear, sportswear and casual shoes.
• Some Malaysian shoppers also took advantage of the biggest sale of the year to snap up good deals and prepare early for the Chinese New Year celebrations in January 2023, as suggested by the fact that red packets and cheongsam both made the list of top-selling items during the campaign.
• Due to the monsoon season and upcoming holidays, many Malaysians shopped for outdoor related products from brands such as Nature Hike and Vidalido in preparation to weather the storms and gear up for local and overseas travel.
• Other popular categories among Malaysian shoppers include women’s bags, makeup/beauty tools, fashion accessories (such as necklaces and earrings) and flip-flops.
Malaysian F&B Brands Loved by Tmall Global Consumers
Close to 40,000 overseas brands from over 90 countries and regions including Malaysian homegrown brands took part in the festival through Tmall Global, Alibaba’s cross-border platform which allows Malaysian brands to reach consumers in China, to offer a range of in demand merchandise in the world’s second-largest consumer market.
• This 11.11 has witnessed the continued demand on Tmall Global for Malaysian F&B products such as Old Town White Coffee, Munchy’s, ChekHup and Amazin’ Graze.
• Health products from brands such as GanoExcel, BMS Organics and bird’s nest brand PT Swift were also popular among Chinese consumers, showcasing the trend of people purchasing a diversity of wellness products from overseas merchants.
• Pet food brand Frisian retains its position as one of the top-selling Malaysian brands on Tmall Global, sustaining its outstanding performance during last year’s 11.11.
• From Oct 31 to Nov 11, 1,009 overseas brands on Tmall Global achieved year-on-year GMV growth of more than 100 per cent. Within the popular category of sports & outdoors, GMV of surfskate boards increased more than 30-fold year-on-year, golf equipment more than 11-fold, and cycling gear more than 450 per cent. Personal care and cosmetics categories also saw notable growth. GMV of facial/eye masks with luxurious ingredients increased more than 9-fold year-on-year, men’s personal care products more than 300 per cent, and makeup sets more than 150 per cent. All these provide a glimpse of growth potentials for brands looking to enter the Chinese market.
Sustainability Remains at The Heart
• Over 1.63 million products showcased on Tmall during 11.11 this year were labeled eco friendly and low-carbon footprint products, covering categories such as apparel, cosmetics, food and energy-efficient electronic goods.
• During 11.11 (since the start of the presale period), more than 16.33 million consumers purchased eco-friendly products on Tmall and Taobao.
Just Around the Corner – Taobao 12.12
Carrying on the momentum, Taobao will be hosting the last sales campaign of the year, Taobao 12.12 sales, to offer Malaysian consumers a last chance to grab attractive deals for their year-end gifts shopping, New Year New Home items, as well as Chinese New Year looks.
Taobao 12.12 key dates
Warm-up period: 8pm, 8 December – 8pm, 10 December 2022
Check-out period: 8pm, 10 December – 12 December 2022
Following its successful launch during 11.11, Taobao will extend the well-received 0 per cent Interest Installment Payment offer for 12.12. Shoppers who select this option on the Taobao app will stand a chance to win a smart watch (terms and conditions apply). Moreover, customers who shop in the fashion category on Taobao during 12.12 can enjoy discounted direct air shipping fees starting from only RMB16 for every two items. For more information, please check out the Taobao Malaysia Facebook page, or browse the Taobao app.
Editor’s Note: You can now download our app on the Google Play Store or the Apple Store, or write your next best-selling novel with our sister app Toolis, available on the Apple Store and Google Play Store or purchase something from us at www.tapiroo.com, yayaezzy.com or at lazybumskincare.com.au. We are happy to note that we are also now on Amazon Australia. Purchase our products as a show of support to us. They are Yaya, Ezzy, Tante June and Xeno backpacks or our beauty products such as LazyBum Skincare Facial Cleanser, LazyBum Skincare Toner and Moisturiser and Blitz Hair Oil Spray. Also, check out our rate card and media kit here if you would like to advertise with us on this website. Thank you!
Like What You Read?
Howdy! Thanks for dropping by and reading our stuff. DailyStraits.com is an independent website that covers all things business and entrepreneurship related. If you like what you read, a little donation from your good self will go a long way in helping us run this site successfully. Thank you!
Welcome to dailystraits.com.Please send all interview requests and press releases to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!